Restorative Yoga Teacher Training
with Marlie McGovern
Restorative yoga is a deep and impactful practice of fully supported yoga postures that stimulate the parasympathetic (rest and digest) nervous system. This conscious relaxation results in a physiological and psychological calm, which helps you overcome distractions and limitations caused by stress, returns your system to balance, and restores your capacities for accurate perception and intentional action.
Offering restorative yoga to others is a profound gift of compassion and healing. The recipient experiences the rare and precious opportunity to “just be” in their bodies and minds, fully supported and relaxed, in the warm presence of a caring guide.
In this hands-on, experiential training, participants will learn the essential principles and practices of restorative yoga:
- Examine the socio-cultural context of stress and overstimulation in contemporary life, and understand the effects of chronic stress and allostatic load on the nervous system
- Explore the physiology and psychology of relaxation from both Western medicinal and traditional Yogic perspectives, and learn how to elicit the body's relaxation response
- Practice and receive constructive feedback on setting-up effective restorative poses, including twists, backbends, forward folds, inversions, and savasana variations
- Learn the key factors to creating a restorative environment for clients, and how to sequence a restorative class or private session
- Understand how and when to use restorative postures to obtain desired therapeutic results
- Uncover greater centeredness, clarity, and expansiveness within yourself through direct somatic experience in the postures throughout the weekend
- Skillfully incorporate breath work and guided meditation into your restorative offerings
- Learn appropriate adaptations and modifications for restorative practice for pregnancy, physical limitations, and other challenges including working with clients in therapeutic or medical settings
This training is open to yoga teachers, physicians, therapists, body workers, health care providers, social workers, and all others seeking to learn stress reduction and relaxation techniques.
Upcoming Dates: October 12-14, 2018
Schedule: Friday, 7:00-9:00pm, Saturday 1-6pm, Sunday 1-6pm
*Hours from this training can be applied to Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Hours
Marlie McGovern, E-RYT, MA, teaches meditative and somatic practices from the contemplative traditions of Yoga and Buddhism, informed by contemporary insights from Western psychology. Her academic background includes cultural anthropology, contemplative psychotherapy, and creative writing, complemented by years of contemplative studies through Om Yoga, Tibet House, and Nalanda Institute in New York City. Marlie specializes in Meditation and in Restorative Yoga. She created and leads Meditation Teacher Trainings and Restorative Yoga Teacher Trainings for physicians, therapists, yoga teachers, and educators across diverse professions. www.marliemcgovern.com